09 February 2011

Poetry

I wanted to verify my citing of poetry as coming from the ancient Greek (which I knew, but there is an old English history as well - a "maker" is a poet). So I googled. What I found surprised me. Not the amount of hits, but that only Wikipedia has a definition. "Poetry (from the [Greek] 'poiesis'/ποίησις [poieo/ποιεω], a making: a forming, creating, or the art of poetry, or a poem) is a form of literary art in which language is used for its aesthetic and evocative qualities in addition to, or in lieu of, its apparent meaning." No other sites, not the Library of Congress, not the Poetry Foundation, not the Academy of American Poets - no one has dared venture to define the art. Yes, to define it is to close it, but provide a wedge into the conversation. Give friction against which to rub to challenge. I feel my drawings challenge the Wikipedia definition, at the same time as they affirm it.

No comments: